We’ve been getting some questions regarding residential campfires and fire pits in the City of Heron Lake. The City of Heron Lake does allow residential properties to have fire pits and campfires. They are regulated under the Minnesota State Fire Code.
- Recreational Fires Must be 25 Feet from buildings of combustible materials.
- Conditions that would be cause a campfire to spread must be eliminated.
- Recreational fires may not be left unattended.
- Adequate fire suppression measures must be available to put out the fire if it needs to be extinguished.
- Recreational fires must be immediately extinguished if directed to do so by a law enforcement officer, on duty firefighter, fire warden, or Conservation Officer.
- Recreational fires are only allowed to burn charcoal, wood from trees, small branches or bushes,
- Recreational fires are classified as being 3 feet in diameter or smaller, and under 2 feet in height.